Changing Direction

Saturday, July 2, 2011

As you may or may not know, i started the year off enrolled in an Arts degree at Uni, with the intention to become a social worker. This came from working within the Edmund Rice program when i was at College. The camps that i have participated in as a leader over the years and also other events at St Pats increased my sense of social justice, making me more determined to help people who are less fortunate than I.

When we were in grade twelve we participated in a 24 hour tri-athlon with all the money going to our sister school - the Edmund Rice school in Arusha, Tanzania (Africa). A teacher of ours presented a slide show and spoke about his time teaching in that school. The way he spoke about the experience really touched me and made me think that i wanted to experience something as dramatically life changing as what he had.



The idea first came to me though, when our friend Dara taught in a school in Vanuatu. She also showed us some pictures and told us all about the experience.


I guess in the back of my mind i have always wanted to teach overseas but always had a reason why i shouldn't/couldn't do it. I think the main thing that was stopping me is the exact reason why i want to go - to go to a third world country or poorer part of a country and teach the people there.

After a LOT of thought and prayer i know that this is what i should be doing with my life, and that studying right now, to do this in the future is exactly what i need to do right now.

So, as of last week, i am officially enrolled in an Education degree!

I am excited for the new semester to begin on July 11th so that i can begin taking the small steps on this journey to a destination i am SO looking forward to.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Cullis Family said...

That would be awesome to teach overseas! Enjoy studying education.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...