Losing it & finding it

Monday, September 12, 2011

Last week i was feeling super overwhelmed with everything going on, and feeling like i had completely lost my photography mojo (the use of the word 'mojo' meaning 'talent' for the purpose of this blog post, NOT sex appeal ;) 

I was feeling like i had lost it in all areas of my life, not just my photography - Uni, Tafe, Nursery, personal. Like everything was moving too fast and that i couldn't keep up - Making me feel just generally crappy. Things were out of balance.

It took a little while but i found it again! I found it in a Relief Society lesson given by Ashlee on 'Desire' which was based on this talk by Dallin H. Oaks.  From April 2011 General Conference.

It never fails to amaze me at how well our Heavenly Father knows each one of us and our needs. I knew i needed to be in that lesson, and didn't see a way that i could be as all my nursery helpers were away. The young women were able to take over for me for an hour so that i could be there. And boy am i glad i was.

 "God does watch over us and does notice us, but it usually through someone else that he meets our needs." Spencer W. Kimball

This then inspired me to change some bad habits and improve areas that i know need it (Uni, Tafe, Nursery, Visiting Teaching, Scripture reading) and cut more of the crap out of my daily life (facebook, reading when i should be studying, too much photography, wasting time in general etc)

A quote from the talk that i love:

Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming. 
(Dallin H. Oaks)

I realised that even though i had some of the right desires, it is not enough. There needs to be more emphasis on the right desires, and then acting upon those. I realised that even though i had the desire to be a good Visiting Teacher, it doesn't mean that i instantly am. Everything worthwhile takes hard work. I need to work hard to achieve my goal of being a better visiting teacher - not just expecting to be without any effort.

The same with Nursery. I can't expect to have children who sit on a mat and listen to a lesson or to pray, recognise the saviour, etc. When there is not enough work towards getting them to do this. In one of my Uni lectures during the week the lecturer asked the question:  

'Are you going to be the kind of teacher that reaches for a workbook at 8am on Monday morning to photocopy like mad?'



She didn't realise that she was also asking me this about my nursery class. And no, i have decided that i am NOT going to be that kind of teacher.

****

Once i remembered to actually act upon my desires and work towards my goals, and to let my desires be guided by this book, suddenly everything settles down and falls into place.

Things aren't so overwhelming - and i can do it ALL... And do it well.



'Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something, whether a true friend, a gifted teacher, or one who has qualified for eternal life.' 
Dallin H. Oaks 






Oh, and my photography mojo?? I found that again Here.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

L!$@ said...

I know this feeling all too well. But it always comes back to the Gospel huh. Glad you've got your mojo back :D

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are back on track!

Ali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...