Copping Flak

Sunday, August 8, 2010

*Don't worry this isn't going to be a post with me complaining the whole time!*

It has taken me a while to blog this because i don't want to sound like i am complaining or whineing or sooking. But i want to share it with you.

I have been copping a LOT of flak at school lately, and to be honest i am totally OVER it! I have really had enough now.

I am very over people making fun of me for my beliefs. What's up with that?
So what, i am an eighteen year old who believes in something, and someone who tries hard to live my life sticking to these beliefs. It would be fair to say that these beliefs guide me in how i act and have changed me from the person i used to be to the person i am now.


What gives another person the right to make fun of someone for something they believe in? The real question should be: "Why would you?" ... Why make fun of someone in the first place? What is the point? To make yourself feel good? To make the other person feel bad?

Either way- i think it is pointless and stupid. I don't enjoy being made fun of or "picked on" and truly thought that by 18 years old people would be mature enough not to. But sadly not. I hope these people grow up soon and get over themselves.



As for me: I know what i believe in and I know the kind of person i want to be. I would never make fun of someone for something they believe in (or for anything!- we are all children of God) ... It used to hurt me that people would do it, but now i just feel sorry for them. I used to get really upset and cry about it, but it isn't going to be forever. I only have to put up with this rubbish for what is considered a small moment in the eternities.

I also remembered important scriptures- most of them from my favourite book ever.

D&C 121: 8 And then, if thou aendure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy bfoes.


This one makes me feel better:

10 And blessed are all they who are apersecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.



I am so sick of it. You would think in a college where people in my grade are 17/18 years old that they would be old enough and mature enough to treat everyone equally.

It doesn't bother me like it used to- BUT i am VERY tired of it.. It makes me exhausted to think about it... I am so over being in that kind of environment, and i am counting down the 50 days until i never have to see them again.

And as for what i say back to them?? Nothing. I don't want to cause trouble or arguments. There is no point in those sorts of reactions. Instead i remember this:

3 Ne. 12:44 But behold I say unto you, love your aenemies, bless them that curse you, do bgood to them that hate you, and cpray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;

I know this kind of thing is nothing to others who have bigger or different trials, but this is one of the big ones in my life at the moment, while i am at this age. I am hoping it doesn't last. I am also very grateful for all that i have and know. I am very blessed :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

The Kings said...

I think it is great that you can see that it's only for a short time. It's not nice to go through and you are right - they are only doing it to make themselves feel better for some reason. Hang in there and know that the blessings WILL come.

Nettie's Blog said...

Satan is the one who gives them "the right"...well he provokes and goads them into it... he would love to see you fall down and then when you were down he would kick you in the gizzards while you were there... I for one and so PROUD of the stand you are making for your beliefs... and i pray for strenngth for you to continue to stand for the right....XXXXX

Alison said...

Good on you for sticking up for yourself and your beliefs, Makayla. :)

People give people flak for a lot of reasons, and I know it sounds cheesy or common to say that they are jealous of you, but, they're at least somewhat jealous of you that you're so sure of yourself in your beliefs. At that age (and I don't want to sound like that wanky person who says "at your age", but, I've learned so, so much about myself and the world in the past 5 years), people are so unsure of themselves. So, when they see you showing signs of strength, and see a place to pick at it or make you weaker, it makes them feel better about the things they don't understand about themselves.

And it's natural to look at your trials and go "well, people are going through so much worse than this", but, you're exactly right. This is significant for you right now. You'll understand it later on. I keep telling myself that. There are things that happened 5 years ago, even 5 months or 5 weeks ago that I didn't understand at the time, but I understand now. I don't need to offend you by trying to tell you that. I know you know that. But sometimes, people just need reminding that IT WILL BE OKAY, soon enough. And, one of these days, everything will make sense. :)

~ fiona j harding ~ said...

Here here to all of the comments above.
Now - for some words of wisdom from little 'ole me.....
It is a natural developmental behaviour at your age to be very impressionable and to form strong beliefs about issues to do with religion and politics. It's a way of asserting independence after a lifetime of living vicariously by your parent's ideologies. It's a time to question everything, to rebel, and to fight against ideas that threaten you. Your friends, as the comments above have pointed out, feel very threatened by your beliefs. But I promise you, one day they will look back and respect you so much for your convictions. I was victimized as you are when I was in year 12 but no matter what, I stood up for my beliefs. It's not easy, I know. What's been amazing for me, is that the very people that targeted and ridiculed me have since apologised to me over and over. So the moral of the story is - as long as you are being yourself and not harming or citicising others, you will never be the one doing the apologising in the future.
You go girl :)
I'm proud of you. xxx

~ fiona j harding ~ said...

Here here to all of the comments above.
Now - for some words of wisdom from little 'ole me.....
It is a natural developmental behaviour at your age to be very impressionable and to form strong beliefs about issues to do with religion and politics. It's a way of asserting independence after a lifetime of living vicariously by your parent's ideologies. It's a time to question everything, to rebel, and to fight against ideas that threaten you. Your friends, as the comments above have pointed out, feel very threatened by your beliefs. But I promise you, one day they will look back and respect you so much for your convictions. I was victimized as you are when I was in year 12 but no matter what, I stood up for my beliefs. It's not easy, I know. What's been amazing for me, is that the very people that targeted and ridiculed me have since apologised to me over and over. So the moral of the story is - as long as you are being yourself and not harming or citicising others, you will never be the one doing the apologising in the future.
You go girl :)
I'm proud of you. xxx

emjay1000 said...

Tell me who they are!! I'll go get 'em! LOL

Melinda said...

I'm sorry you have to put up with that kind of thing. People judge and criticise because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Gina Slevec said...

Oh, Makayla ... I had no idea. This really is such childish and petty and ignorant behaviour ... I am shocked! Stay strong and continue to be proud of who you are and what you believe in. You are to be admired and respected for your faith and convictions, not judged. Enjoy those around you who love and respect you for who you are, and make the most of the good times to be had with those who are important this year :)

Anonymous said...

Mak, You Know i'm always around. It makes me sad you are looking forward to the end of school, year 12 is meant to be about having fun and bonding, not stuff like this!
Is this the reason you spend so much time in the art rooms??? cos i miss you in the study room...
talk on saturday.
love jasz

towers said...

Oh No Makayla - I am so sorry I had no idea. All this time I was thinking how wonderful it is that you are so firm in your faith and that others respected that (which I am still sure most do, it is just who are ignorant that don't).

Makayla - you know that I am so incredibly proud of you and think that you are amazing. Your capacity to give, to be funny and compassionate, energetic and intelligent are to be admired. I fondly recall that moment when you returned in Year 10 after being away on summer holidays and I knew there was a very different girl in front of me and so much has been a part of that transformation but your faith was key. Don't you let anyone prevent you from seeing the beauty you possess and the love you have for God.
I am not looking forward to 50 days time. It makes me so sad to think about you leaving but it makes me even sadder to think that you are not going to be loving every moment of your last term.

We will chat more at school and by gosh if I find out who is making your life tough there will be trouble brewing. No one messes with NR4 kiddlywinks, particularly my senior girls!

Anonymous said...

Large minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people!!!

don't worry about them or listen to them they just have nothing else to talk about!!

talk to me and jasz whenever!

and i am thinking of venturing down to the art rooms myself the gossip in the study room is tiring!!
love rach
xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...