Two years ago today...

Monday, November 9, 2009

... was the 10th November 2007. I was fifteen years old, and it was the scariest day of my life! It was a Saturday. I woke up and thought to myself "OH MY GOODNESS!!!!".. It was the day of my baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I was absolutely petrified! I kept thinking to myself "why why why am i doing this?!" .. We got to the chapel early, and mum decided to have hers before anyone else got there. We watched her be baptised and it was suddenly a little less scary. Who am i kidding!!!? I was still REALLY scared..
The time was drawing closer to the moment when i would have to enter that scary looking font! We took some photos together. And then it was time! A lot of people in our ward had arrived and were ready to go. We went into the chapel for the prayers and talks, then it was time. Morgan was the brave one and decided to go first. Then i think it was me next, and then Chey. There had been a problem with the cold tap that day so the water was fairly BURNING!! =)
After the baptism we had some morning tea in the hall. I dont remember what we ate or who was there, but it was great! The sister missionaries gave us each a card that said some beautiful things, and a framed photo (they gave mum some scriptures).. It was so nice.

I don't think i can say that it was "the best day of my life" because it wasn't exactly that. It was the day that has given me 730 "best days of my life" so far!! I CAN say that choosing to get baptised was the best decision i have ever made.


Sister Doig and Sister Jorgensen

I am really glad that the day after my baptism i decided to start keeping a journal (something i had never done before)... Because now i can remember not just the day but the feelings that went with it. I want to share with you all something i wrote in my journal on 15th of November 2007. I am talking about my baptism.

"As it was my turn, i was a bit... scared.. I was bawling my eyes out, and i know that even though i didn't have the gift of the Holy Ghost yet, that he was touching my heart. Then as soon as i stepped into the water (and got over how hot it was) i instantly felt good, and i knew that it was right. I looked up at everyone smiling at me, all the people that love me, and i could see (uncle) Stuart standing there with them. And i just knew that it was what i wanted, that i could do it. As Graeme said 'I baptise you..' I let everything go, relaxed, went under, came up, and felt AMAZING!"

I am now wishing that i wrote some more!! I am kicking myself that i didn't. But i have since kept a journal and there is something else i want to share..

Dated 1st August 2009
"I guess life doesn't turn out the way we expect it to.. There are lots of surprises! Some good, and some bad, but it is all a learning experience. I am SO grateful to be a member of the Church, it changed my life so much! I just love my Heavenly Father and all that he has done for me.. I love the Savior Jesus Christ and i am grateful for the atonement. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on the Earth and i love it. Getting baptised was the greatest decision i ever made!!"

It wasn't easy to change our lives. And it hasn't always been easy to live the gospel. But there has never been a single moment where i have regreted my decision to be baptised. Not a single day goes by where i don't remember that day and thank my Heavenly Father for the two sister missionaries who were able to soften my heart and help me to learn of the truth. I am thankful to have met the amazing people that i have, that keep me grounded and strengthen my testimony. I have made so many new friends, and so many people feel like my family even though we are not related.

I thank Heavenly Father for Toni Coward who was there the very first time that i went to church and smiled and hugged me. Her kindness is what made me go back a second, and then a third time, until i was baptised (and now they cant get rid of me! =)

I could go on forever saying how grateful i am, but i wont. I want you to all know this: Life gets tough, but i know who i am now. I know what is important in life. I have learnt what happiness really is!!!!!! And i have a testimony of the gospel. I love the church. And when i get down and disheartened i remember this quote: "I never said it would be easy, i only said it would be worth it." ... And it has been!!! =)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

The Kings said...

Such a beautiful post Makayla!!! You are an awesome example.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience! Happy Baptism anniversary :) I loved reading how you felt as it reminded me of when I was baptised. I think that it is a little harder when us converts take the step to be baptised as it is such a change to what we have lived outside of the church. I love it that you are so young and yet you have such a strong testimony, your an example to many of us leaders of how you really are the rising generation!

The Jacks said...

Aaw thanks you guys...
I think i should've added in how Stuart is actually dead and i only saw his spirit standing there, but i didnt want to change my journal entry or freak people out =)

make it perfect said...

Oh Makayla, I have tears in my eyes!
What a beautiful post - and I can't believe it has been 2 years already! That is AWESOME.
You are right, we can't get rid of you now - AND WE DON'T WANT TO!
You are a beautiful girl, so glad you are happy :)
xxx

Fiona said...

You are amazing!

Simone Triffitt said...

I love the way you did that post. You wrote it so well. It was lovely to read how you felt back then and now. xx

Alexa Zurcher said...

so beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...